Thursday, September 18, 2014

Overnight Oatmeal

I love fast and easy breakfasts. The quicker, the better because that means I can stay in bed for even longer :) Sure, I like grabbing a granola right before I sprint out the door to get to my 8am class but it's never very filling and I'm always starving after only a few hours.  With that said, I am always looking for new breakfast options that are keep my stomach from rumbling in class.  

The other day, my friend Ellen told me her new go-to breakfast is overnight oats.  I looked more into it (pinterest and buzzfeed were my primary sources).  Turns out that it is really easy to make and since it is so customizable, so you can literally make it however you want and it'll be delicious! 

Oh, and for those people who say they cannot cook for the life of them, this recipe is FOOL PROOF!

                          


Overnight Oats

Ingredients
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 milk** (any type will do, I use almond)
- 1/2 yogurt (I use greek)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp honey (you can add in whatever and however much sweetener you want)

**any liquid can work. You always just have to have a 1:1 ratio of oats to liquid.  I like using half milk, half orange juice.

Those are the main ingredients!  Now for the fun part.  Add in whatever you want!  Here are a few combos I have tried.  

Cashews and Craisins
- handful chopped cashews
- handful dried craisins
- 1 tbsp chia seeds

Strawberry and pecan
- 6 fresh or frozen strawberries
- handful of chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp chia seeds

Cinnamon Peach (my favorite because it tastes like fall!)
- 1 whole peach, chopped up
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds

Whatever you choose to add in, just mix everything into the base mixture, mix, then store overnight in the fridge.  The next morning, you have a filling breakfast ready for you to grab and head out the door with!

Here are some pictures of my strawberry pecan version.


So naked looking so I topped it with more strawberries and pecans.


So much prettier!

I got free mason jars the other day so not only was I excited to try to recipe but I was also excited to finally use my jars!



1 comment:

  1. LOVE the blog! i'm definitely going to try this sometime :)

    ReplyDelete