Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Flourless PB Choco Cookies

So during our last few blocks of Cell Bio, metabolic diseases were thrown in our faces.  It was pretty interesting whenever patients came in to talk about their lives and how they manage their conditions.  Problem is, every time they came to talk, I just felt so bad for them because they were never able to appreciate food!  Just like Dorothy Wang,*** I’m just a fat kid trying to get out.  If I could, I would seriously eat all day so I cant even imagine going through a day constantly monitoring everything I eat.  Really though, mad props to those patients for having so much self-control.
I’m sort of surprised we didn’t learn about celiac disease (condition where you have a gluten allergy). Last year, a friend of mine was diagnosed with it and I was so sad for her because her favorite food is bread. We had a gluten-free-German-food themed birthday dinner which turned out surprisingly well. Some months later, she found out she was misdiagnosed with it so she went back to eating all the bread in the world.
That was the most roundabout way to introduce these gluten-free cookies but oh well. Random tangents are good sometimes.  Okay, back to da cookies.  Got this recipe from a friend and am definitely going to add it to my recipe-keeper list. Gluten-free and I’m going to say they’re healthy since peanut butter is the main ingredient (yay unsaturated fats, fiber, protein, micronutrients and vitamins) hehe. 
image


Flour-less Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 1 cup peanut butter (i only believe in chunky PB, never smooth)
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350degrees.
  2. Mix together the PB, sugar, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
  3. Add in the egg and vanilla until well blended.
  4. Add in a handful or two of chocolate chips.
  5. Scoop dough onto the cookie sheet.
  6. Bake for 10 minutes.
  7. Cool completely before consumption.
image
Also, quick tip, it’s really important to let the cookies cool completely before eating because otherwise they will just crumble…
Tell you the truth, if someone gave me these cookies, I would have never guessed they were flour-less. Who knew gluten-free things could be so yummy.
***To get the Dorothy reference, you HAVE to watch “Rich Kids of Beverly Hills.” I guarantee you that it will be the most ridiculous thing you will watch all day haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment