Monday, September 15, 2014

Outrageously Organism Oreo Overload Cake

The first time I made these cupcakes was last summer for my brother’s birthday because he is a huge fan of oreos (single stuffed, not double stuffed…sorry to anyone he’s offended *cough cough Paprika*).  The fam loved them so when I found out that the medical school student council was having a bake-off, I thought I would try my hand in it and enter with these cupcakes!
There were 7 other dessert entries and the cake ended up winning 3rd place! Not too shabby if I do say so myself :)
Outrageously Orgasmic Oreo Overload Cake (I worked really hard on the alliteration guys) 
  • 1cup + 2tbsp flour
  • 1/4tsp salt
  • 1/2tsp baking powder
  • 1/2cup +1/3cup sugar
  • 4tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1/2cup milk
  • 15 oreo cookies, crumbled
  1. Preheat oven to 350degrees.
  2. Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Then set aside.
  3. Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
  4. Add in the egg whites, one at a time.
  5. Mix in the vanilla.
  6. Fold in half of the flour.
  7. Add in the milk
  8. Mix in the other half of the flour, being careful to not overmix.
  9. Fold in the cookie crumbles.
  10. Spray nonstick cooking spray into a 9x13 pan.
  11. Pour batter into the pan.
  12. Bake for 15min or until a toothpick comes out clean when you stick in inside the cake.
image



Pretty sure the cashier at safeway was judging me but oh well..
image
While the cake cools, use the time to make the cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 4oz cream cheese, room temp
  • 3tbsp butter, room temp
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1tsp milk
  • powdered sugar
  1. Mix together the cream cheese and butter.
  2. Add the vanilla and milk.
  3. Mix in however much powdered sugar you want (depends on personal taste).
Once the cake is cooked, frost it, and then crumble more oreo cookies over it!
Looks like an award winning cake if I do say so myself hehe.
image
image
After the competition, I still had soooo many cookies left.  To prevent myself from eating all the cookies and getting type 2 diabetes, I made cupcake versions of the cake for a friend’s birthday too. HOW CUTE ARE THEY!?
image
Also, a comment on the texture of the cake. For some reason, the cake turned out to be more dense than I expected.  I definitely wouldnt say it was a bad thing (clearly..) but I just thought it was an interesting observation.  I dont remember the cake being as dense the first time I made it over the summer but whatever. Cake is cake and it was a damn good one.  Probably not going to make this for a while though.  I made a practice test cake, 2 cakes for the bake-off, and then a batch of cupcakes in the past 2 weeks so it’s safe to say I’ve had enough…#toomanyoreos

No comments:

Post a Comment